Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Writing the Vision

The Bible tells us where there is no vision, the people perish.

At the beginning of this year, God put it on my heart to create a Heart’s Desire card. He instructed me to write down twelve desires I have this year. I was about to write them on an index card when he further informed me this was not just for me only, but to share it with other members of the church congregation.

So I created a Heart’s Desire card on my computer and used the scripture reference from Psalm 37:4: Delight yourself also in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart and shared it. Aware that in life we may have goals, dreams, and aspirations; what gives these things a boost of power is writing them down and, as Habakkuk 2:2 states, to make it plain. There’s just something about writing your vision and making it plain so that there is no room for misinterpretation.

We serve such a big God—there’s nothing too hard for him. Our problem is not that God can’t handle the big things, but that in many cases, we don’t dream big enough. God is looking for willing vessels so that He can show Himself strong. Therefore, when I come with my dreams and visions, I come specific. I don’t just say, “I desire a car.” I let Him know the make, model, color, and any additional desired options.

Think about it. Do you really think God is impressed with your little, trying-to-be-humble-acting requests? Sure, it sounds so spiritual when you say, “God, just give me a car. Anything you want me to have is fine with me. Just as long as it gets me from point A to point B, I’ll be happy and content.”

No, I’m not saying there’s anything wrong with this prayer. What I am saying is, God is asking you, “What do you desire?” He likes it when you’re crystal-clear. Does he really care whether you ask Him for a VW Beetle as opposed to a Mercedes? Not really. Either of these is doable for God. When you tell Him specifically what you desire, do you really think God is scratching His head and saying, “Now how am I going to pull that one off?”

No.

So I write my true desires down because He has already told me He will give me the desires of MY heart. Not your heart. Not what you think I should have. Not what you think is acceptable for me as a Christian. What I desire. The desires of my heart.

Now, what do you desire?

When you write things down, it makes it more difficult for you to go back and try to wriggle your way out of what you said. That’s why writing it down is important. It puts it out there for all to see (so to speak). Your vision at that point becomes manifested in the form of words. It is now before you, so as you run your race, you see it.

I wrote my desires down as did many in our congregation. We prayed about them before we wrote down anything. I believe God gives us a desire for something, before He gives us the desire. No, that was not double-talk. God PUTS the desire in you to desire a thing. Then He GIVES you the desire (makes the desire totally manifest in your life).

I wrote my desires, placed them on my mirror so every day, I am reminded of them. When a desire is manifested, I write the word VICTORY in big, red letters over it.

Now back to you. In your life, you should have desires. You should have a vision. Have you written anything down?

It’s like writing a story. You may see things clearly in your mind. You may find yourself watching your characters perform certain acts in your imagination. But it only becomes real, more than just to you anyway, when you outwardly record it in some way so that others can also experience what you see in your mind.

I write my visions, and I make all of them plain. And when my God—who can do anything but fail; my God whom I know there’s nothing too hard for Him to do—when God brings these things to pass and people ask me how; I point to my Father in heaven who loves me so much that He cares about every area of my life (physically, spiritually, mentally, emotionally, financially, and socially), and I say, “God did it.” God gets all the glory. Ultimately, that’s what this is all about.

Now it’s time for you. Stop right now, write your vision, make it plain, delight yourself also in the Lord, and watch Him give YOU the desires of your heart!


Copyright © 2006 Vanessa Davis Griggs

Vanessa Davis Griggs is a speaker and the author of four published novels: Destiny Unlimited, The Rose of Jericho, Promises Beyond Jordan, and Wings of Grace. For more information or to visit her Web site, go to: www.VanessaDavisGriggs.com. E-mail: Vanessa@VanessaDavisGriggs.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home